Explore Jammu Province
Shrines of Jammu City
"City of Temples"
The Jammu City abounds in a large number of shrines which testify to the deep devotional spirit of the people. An increasing stream of pilgrims from all over the country and even abroad visit these shrines every year. While Jammu is famous as the City of Temples on account of numerous temples - old and new - which dot the landscape, the City however also has a fair number of shrines of other faiths. The shrines of Jammu City make it a glowing example of secularism and inter-religious harmony.
Shri Raghunathji Temple
Raghunath Mandir is perhaps the most famous of the Jammu Temples. It is the largest temple complex in Northern India. Situated in the heart of the city in the Raghunath Bazar, the temple was built in 1857 by Maharaja Ranbir Singh. The main temple has the idols of Lord Rama, Mata Sita and Shri Lakshman ji placed on a raised platform. The inner walls of the main temple are covered with gold sheets on three sides. There are many galleries with lakhs of saligrams. The numerous other temples in the complex are dedicated to various Gods and Goddesses of the Hindu Pantheon. The Temple also houses a Sanskrit Library containing rare Sanskrit manuscripts.
Shri Ranbireshwar Temple
The Temple is named after its founder Maharaja Ranbir Singh. The construction of the temple was started in 1863 A.D and was completed in 1878 A.D. It is the biggest Shiva temple in North India. The temple houses a huge sphatic shivlingam measuring seven and a half feet in height surrounded by ten 2 feet high billaur (crystals) lingas and galleries with 1, 25,000 tiny Shivlings brought here from the river Narmada. The Temple is located on the Shalamar Road about a kilometer from the Raghunath Bazaar.
The temple was constructed by Raja Guje Singh of Jammu (1687-1703) and is considered one of the oldest in Jammu. It is linked to the visit of Shankaracharya in the ninth century A.D. The temple, constructed much later, is considered sacred because of the self- originated Shivalinga ( Svayambhuva Shiva linga). One of the most revered Shiva Shrines in the city, the Lord is worshipped here in the Swachananda form having five faces representing the totality of Shiva in His most abstract form. Hence it is known as Panchvaktar. The temple is also popularly known as ‘ Rupay Wala Mandir’ as coins have been embedded in the floor slabs. It seems that there were also inscriptions in Dogri script on the exterior of the surrounding walls. The Temple is situated in a lane off the Residency Road barely a kilometer from the Raghunath Bazar.
Peer Kho Temple
During the reign of Raja Biram Dev of Jammu (1454 – 95) a famous mendicant Jogi Guru Garib Nath belonging to the Guru Gorakh Nath order came to Jammu and resided at Peer Kho. Kho means cave in the local dialect. He came to be known as Peer-i-Kho and thus with the passage of time the cave got its name. The cave is also known as the Jamwant Gufa (cave) as the bear hero of Ramayana is believed to have meditated here. A Shivlinga is established inside the cave. Devotees throng the cave on Puranmashi, Amavasya and Ekadashi and during Shivratri. The temple is situated on the Circular Road, 2 kms from Raghunath Bazar.
Rani Kalhuri Devi Temple
The temple was constructed probably in 1889-90 AD by Rani Shuba Devi of Kalhur state wife of Maharaja Ranbir Singh and hence is known as Rani Kalhuri Devi Temple. This temple houses the idols for Lord Rama and Sita on one side and Shiv Parvati Idols on the other side. The temple is situated on the Circular Road about half a kilometer from the Peer Kho temple.
Ram Talai Temple
Situated on the Circular Road and in the vicinity of Rani Kalhuri Devi temple, this temple houses the images of Lord Krishna and Radha. The temple has beautiful pond and garden in its surroundings.
Radha Krishan Rukmani Temple
The temple houses the idols of Lord Krishna, Radha and Rukmani. The temple is situated on the Circular Road just half a km from the Ram Talai Temple Jammu.
The Panjthirthi locality is situated towards the northern extremity of the Jammu City. This is the oldest part of the City and has a cluster of old temples which are over a hundred years old. Five Temples in close proximity of each other are considered by the people of Jammu as equivalent of the Panch Tiraths and thus the name Panjtirthi.
This temple is situated just opposite the Radio station, panjthirthi. It was constructed by Sardar Attar Singh during 1856-85 AD. It is also known as Sardaran-Ka-Mandir.The temple is dedicated to Lord Rama, Sita and Lakshman Ji and Lord Shiva.
Radhey- Shayam Temple( Billo mandir)
This is one of the oldest temples of the city situated in Panjthirthi. The temple was constructed in 1839 AD by Bahi Charan Dass. The temple has beautiful idols of Radha Ji and Lord Krishna. It is also known as Billo temple after the name of the priest who took care of the temple for many years.
Shri Satya Naryan Temple
The temple is located on the second floor of the temple complex. It houses the idols of Shri Satya Narayan Ji and Mata Lakshami Ji. A small adjoining temple has a magnificent idol of Garud Devji. The temple was built during the reign of Maharaja Partap Singh Ji. It is located near the Billu Temple.
Shri Banwari Dass Temple
The temple is located at the entrance of Chaugan Salathia outside Mubarak Mandi . The unique feature of this old temple is that it has the statues of Lord Rama, Mata Sita , Lakshman Ji and his wife Urmilla.
Shri ShivNabh Temple
This temple was constructed during 18th century and located inside the Mubarak Mandi complex. Devoted to Lord Shiva, the Shivling in the shrine appears to be emerging from the navel (Nabhi) of Lord Vishnu. The cupola over the Shivling is gilded completely with gold. The temple also houses two very old paintings depicting the city of Janakpuri from where Mata Sita hailed.
The temple is situated just outside the Mubarak Mandi complex. It houses two life size statues of Shri Gaddadhar ji and Devi Lakshmi. The Temple was built by the Dogra Rajas during 18th century.
Maha Lakshmi Temple
The ancient Devi Maha Lakshmi Temple is situated at Pacca Danga. The temple was built by Maharaja Ranbir Singh and houses a beautiful marble idol of Maha Lakshmi. The temple witnesses great festivity on the eve of Diwali.
The temple is located in Kacchi Chawni in the centre of Jammu City. It is dedicated to Mata Lakshmi and Bagwan Narayan Ji. The temple was built by Diwan Jawala Sahai the Prime Minister of both Maharajas Gulab Singh and Ranbir Singh. The temple is a huge structure built in about 1860 AD. It is popularly known as Diwan-i-da-Mandir. The temple is also embilshed with frescos and wall paintings.
The temple complex is situated on the banks of river Tawi. The complex consists of many temples and gigantic images of the Hindu deities.
Bawey Wali Mata
This is one of the most important Shakti shrines of Jammu region. The temple is situated inside the Bahu Fort and was built shortly after the coronation of Maharaja Gulab Singh in 1822. It is also known as the Mahakali Temple the reigning deity of the City of Jammu. The Shrine is considered second only to Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine. An annual nine day Navrata fair is held during the Navratras. On Tuesday and Sunday a large numbers of devotees pay their homage to Devi.
Maha Maya Temple
Located on the ridge facing the Bahu Fort in the midst of the City Forest on the bye Pass road is the Mahamaya Temple. The temple houses the manifestation of the Mata in the form of a pindi. The temple provides a panoramic view of the magnificent city forests and the Jammu City. It is said to have been constructed by Maharaja Ranbir Singh of Jammu (1857-1885).
Lakshmi Naryan Temple
This is an old temple of Jammu located in Gandhinagar. The temple houses the idols of Mata Lakhami and Bagwan Narayan Ji.
Panch Mandir, Gandhi Nagar
The temple is situated in Gandhinagar, Jammu. The temple complex has five temples and thus it is also known as Panch Mandir.
Doodha Dhari Temple
The temple is situated in Shastri Nagar locality in Jammu city. The temple is named after the priest who lived here and it is believed that he survived only on milk. Hence the temple is named as Doodha Dhari temple.
Ancient Shiv Temple Sunjawan
The temple is situated in Sunjawa Village near the bank of an ancient pond. The temple houses a red stone Shivlingam. The temple complex has a chatuburji idol of Lord Ganesha. The temple was built in 1861 by Mahatma Kunju during the reign of Maharaja Ranbir Singh.
Aap Shambhu Temple
The temple is situated at Sathrian in Roopnagar area of Jammu city. The temple has self-made stone Lingam. According to a legend, in the times immemorial this entire place was an uninhabited jungle, the milky cows and buffaloes used to come to the Lingam after grazing and shed entire milk on the Lingam. Heavy rush of devotees is witnessed on the occasion of Mahashivratri.
Bhagwan Gopinath ji Ashram
Bhagwan Gopinath Ji Ashram is located at a distance of 5 Kms from Jammu Bus Stand near Udhaywala Bohri.The Ashram houses the marble statue of Bhagwan Gopinathji, who is the most venerated of Kashmiri pandit saints. It also has a lage library having collection of books of spiritual and academic interest. A heritage gallery showcases the life and teachings of ( Bhagwanji) in the form of relics, models and pictures.
The tomb of Pir Mitha is situated in the interior of the old Jammu city in the locality bearing the same name. In the mid of 15th century A.D., a Sayid Qutul Alam came to Jammu from Sawazwar and made many of hindus and muslims his followers. He was contemporary of Raja Ajaib Dev, who ruled Jammu from 1423A.D to 1454 A.D. As sugar and sweets were his favourite so most of his followers brought him gifts of milk, sugar and sugar cane. He was also sweet spoken to people as hence was popularly known as Pir Mitha.
Peer Budhan Ali Shah Sahib
The shrine of Peer Budan Ali Shah situated at Satwari near the Jammu Airport is also popularly known as Peer Baba. Peer Budan Ali Shah was a close friend of Shri Guru Nanak Dev ji. He was born at Talwandi in 15th century A.D. Peer Budhan Ali Shah was a bachelor and vegetarian all his life, who according to his followers, subsisted on milk. Another shrine of the Peer is said to be at Anandpur Sahib in Punjab. A large number of devotees of all faiths throng the shrine on every Thursday.
It is the oldest and the biggest Masjid of Jammu located in Talab Khatikan a kilometer away from Raghunath Bazar. Heavy rush of devotees is witnessed on the eve of Id-ul-Milad and Friday’s.
Peer Roshan Shah Wali
It is one of the prominent Muslim Shrines located at Gumat in the heart of Jammu city near Shri Raghunathji temple. It is the (makbara) mausoleum of Peer Roshan Shah Wali. He is believed to have come from Arabia in 648 samvat and took his abode near Gumat which was then a jungle. After the death of the saint a mausoleum was built at the spot where he resided. This mausoleum has since continued to be the residence of Peers and pious men. The original structure made of stones and clay was rebuilt by Maharaja Ranbir Singh. Pir Roshan Shah was a very tall person and so came to be known also as Pir Nau Gazia ( the nine foot tall Pir).
This is another prominent mosque of Jammu and is located in the Usatd mohalla near Panjthirthi. Heavy rush of devotees is witnessed here on Fridays and on Eid.
Gurudwara Sunder Singh
This is a historical Gurudwara of Jammu located just in the vicinity of Raghunath Bazar. The Gurudwara was built about 166 years back by S. Sunder Singh Khurana Ji who lived in Amritsar. The Gurdwara has beautiful and ornate interiors with colourful floral motifs adorning the walls.
Gurudwara Chatti Padshahi Tali Sahib
The Gurudawara Sahib was made by Baba Bhagat Singh Ji and his wife Mata Tej Kour ji in 1947. Baba Bhagat Singh Ji was the follower of Baba Alibegh Ji and settled and built the Gurudwara. The Gurudwara is popularly known as Gurudwara Chatti Padshahi Tali Sahib Ji .This is an ancient and revered Gurudawara is located at Talab Tillo.
Kalgidhar Gurudwara, Rehari
The Gurudwara is located at Rehari Chowk just 2 Kms from Jammu bus stand on the National Highway.
Gurudwara ,Nanak Nagar
This is one of the biggest Gurdwaras in Jammu and is located in Nanak Nagar locality of the City.
Gurudwara Sh.Guru Nanak Devji
Also known as the Panchyati Gurudwara. It is situtated in upper bazar near Mubarak Mandi complex. It is venerated by both Sikhs and Hindus. The unique feature of this Gurudwara is that it has a 3ft tall white marble statue of Guru Nank Devji. Maharja Partap Singh is said to have installed the statue.
Gurudwara Shri Guru Nanak DevJi, Chand Nagar
This Gurudwara is situated in the heart of the city at Chand Nagar near Jewel Chowk. Heavy rush of devotees is witnessed here on Gurupurabs.
Sant Rocha Singh Ashram (Digana Ashram)
This Gurudwara is situated on the national highway at Digana. The Gurudwara has a very beautiful building. The ashram provides free education to orphan children. Heavy rush of devotees is witnessed here during gurupurabs and Sundays.
St. Paul’s Church
St. Paul’s Church on Wazarat Road is the oldest Church. On 11th April, 1928, Miss Isabella Plumb laid the foundation stone of this church.
St. Cathedral Garrison Church
St. Cathedral Garrison Church (Catholic) on the national highway which was built in 1986 and is dedicated to Rt. Rev. Dr. Hippolytus Kunnunkal, Then Bishop of J&K. Other churches are Roman Catholic Church near BC Road, St.Peter’s Church, Christian Colony, and Indian National Evangelical Church, Near Ustad Mohalla, Jammu.
Shri Jain Shwetambar Temple, Jammu
The temple is situated at Patel Chowk in the heart of the old city. This is a beautiful small marble temple having images of Lord Mahavira and the other Tirthankaras. All the images are of marble. The image of Lord Mahavira has been brought from Cambay near Ahmedabad and is believed to have been discovered 1100 years ago.